Saturday, August 28, 2010

Hospice Care

It's with heavy hearts that we are letting all of our friends and family know that we will be starting Hospice for Olivia on Monday. This is the program we have chosen. The last few days she has really perked up and we sometimes question if the timing is right but in the end we think it's better to be prepared. Only God knows her true time line. There is no urgency right now but her breathing at night is very erratic. Her neurologist feels that her disease and constant seizure activity has begun to break down her Cerebrum which is the center of function in the brain. At this point we are not enrolling her in school and we are keeping her home with us. If you would like to visit with Olivia and help keep her entertained (she is mostly confined to her wheelchair now) then give us a call. Please keep Olivia in your thoughts and prayers. Thanks. Kelly

Sunday, August 22, 2010

Olivia Update August 22, 2010

Olivia is doing well. She had a rough weekend as we are adjusting her medications. She is still weak and tired. We have had to help her eat, plus she has been in her wheelchair more often now than not. Here is a picture of her sleeping in the hospital while we were waiting to be discharged. She got a new pig from the book/show "Olivia". Notice she did not let go of her balloon while sleeping. Smile.

Monday, August 16, 2010

Hospital update 8/16/10

Thank you to everyone for your prayers and well wishes for Olivia. Yesterday she began vomiting several times in a short period, she had right sided weakness and drooling. We had a feeling she might be having a metabolic stroke again. She could move all of her extremities but could not talk when I arrived at the ER with her.
By the time we were moved up to her room, she was doing pretty well. She had to have an IV dose of phenobarbital which made her breathing really rough during the night. A few times the whole team had to come in and we nearly had to put her on the ventilator to help her breathe. Luckily God was watching her and we made it through the night until some of the meds could wear off.  
Today she has been stable and they are doing a continuous EEG to see what kind of seizure activity is going on. Hopefully she will be released tomorrow. Keep her in your thoughts and prayers please because it really helps. Thanks. Kelly
PS here is more info on a metabolic stroke.